Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5 Great Things About My SMC Experience So Far

Just for fun, I thought it would be nice to share some of the things that have made college life at SMC really awesome for me. There's a ton of stuff to do on campus; and in general if you want to try something new, there's something new for you to try. Or, if you want to continue doing activities that you've been doing in high school you can do that as well! So without further ado, here's what I've been into!

1. Ski Team


I've been a racer since I was a little kid, and before I came to SMC I decided that I'd try out for the team. So, all fall I've been doing dryland training with them and it's been great for staying in shape and meeting a cool group of people. I'm really looking forward to training with them this winter (but I'll be racing USSA; If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it), I think I'll learn a lot and improve a ton as a racer.

2. Floor Mates



J4 is where it's at!


The people on my floor rock and we've formed a great group of friends. It's not uncommon for us to all pile in someones (usually our friends Bean and Cait) room on a Friday night and have a hot dance party (hot as in temperature; try fitting 25 college students into a room while bumping LMFAO and keep it from boiling within 5 minutes), until we get thirsty and walk to Cumby's or hungry and go out to the grill (fun fact, the grill rocks, my friend Sarah did a post on it here; but it would rock more if they had veggie burgers =p).



3. Green Up / Clubs in General


I've posted about Green Up on this blog a few times before, but to anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's the sustainability club on campus. For me, it's been really cool to find a nitch with Green Up. I'd been "environmentally aware" during high school but had never really been proactive about it, and Green Up has given me the opportunity and I love it. Read about our trip to Washington D.C here, and check out some pictures here.


4. The Freshman Quad



Pictured are; Ryan Hall on the left, Joyce Hall on the right.


All first-year students live in Joyce, Ryan and Lyons hall, called the freshman quad (the fourth hall in the quad is Alumni, but that's mostly sophomores). This is cool because it's in the center of campus, so it's close to everything which is helpful when you're a first year (although SMC campus isn't that large anyway). Also, on Friday and Saturday nights, this is where the famous grill takes place!


5. Professors and Academics


When I was touring colleges, I remember how each one said that their professors were fantastic and hands-on and how they really will work with you outside of class. While I'm not sure if that's the case everywhere, it is at Saint Mike's. I've had good experiences with all of my professors this semester, even if I've had a little trouble in their class (calc). And of course you can't generalize every professor at a college, but from what my friends tell me about their professors, I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

Of course there are a ton of other things that make me happy at SMC, and If you have any questions about classes, clubs or life in general feel free to contact me!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment