Monday, February 6, 2012

Writing a Resume

I'm an awful person for not posting for 9 days, and even worse for being that guy who apologizes on his blog!
But here goes.

One thing that has been occupying my time since I've been back at school; my resume. It's not the most complicated thing in the world, but definitely one of those things you want to do right. It's your first impression to potential employers/internships! So thank God for SMC's career counseling services. I was able to bring in my resume, have it looked over, and get help writing a proposal for the internship I want this summer at MVRCR; an outreach center for refugees in Utica, NY. This is my first internship (fingers crossed), so I'm really hoping I'll be picked, because working with Refugees is something I see myself doing after undergrad. Exciting stuff!

And I said that it's not the most complicated thing in the world, but it's definitely a process. Some things you have to do in the process of compiling a resume are:

Remember What You've Done

Especially after having taken a gap year, it was difficult for me to remember things I could put on a resume. For example, while a job that I held for a year until my last semester of high school seemed applicable, summer jobs from the year before did not. Also, I wanted to work my experience abroad into my resume, but I wasn't sure how. Thankfully, with guidance from my dad as well as a career counselor here at SMC, I was able to make it pretty clear what I had done and why this was relevant to the internship. 

Learn to Brag

For most people, it's pretty awkward at first to write clearly and confidently about yourself. You don't want people to overestimate your abilities; but at the same time it would be worse if you talked yourself down. That's why it helps to have a third party (I had my parents, siblings, grandparents, friends and career counselors read it before I was satisfied). But even so, learn to brag! It's ok to tell people what you can do, just as long as you're not exaggerating. It's a good skill to have.

Collect References

This may be the most important thing, because you want to make sure that your references know your abilities as well as your personality. If contacted, these people will give your employer a sense of who you are, in addition to how you come off on your resume. Professors, former employers, mentors and advisers are possibilities.

Be Concise

You can't ramble in a resume. In fact, you're encouraged not to write in full sentences. Rather than, "I was a dishwasher, helped the cook and cleaned the kitchen", you would write, "washed dishes, helped cook, cleaned kitchen, etc.", or something to that effect. Usually, your resume has to be only one page, so the shorter your descriptions are, the better.

If all goes as planned, I'll be sending my completed resume as well as my internship proposal and application off within the next few days! Here's a *small* (sorry) snapshot of the finished product!


Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for making writing resume easy process.

    Resume Examples

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very professional ;) Good luck with the internship application process - keep me updated on your prospects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to see you become highly successful. What does highly successful mean to us? Using your strongest gifts to serve others and making a fabulous living at the same time.

      Career Counseling Services

      Delete
  3. Thinking of getting the best resume that will catch the attention of your employers? Resume Writing Fort McMurray have been proven and tested to be experts with this. You better consult with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this article you have provided great information for all types of job seeking people. This all information is very useful for me because last month I was completed my study in management. So thanks for sharing..
    resume templates

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was in college where my professor told us the importance of presenting a good resume. His words really moved me that's why when I graduated, I wrote all the best descriptions of myself on my curriculum vitae. Glad that my current employer liked all the details written there and I am enjoying my job now. :)

    http://essays.mightystudents.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely right that the most important thing to do upon graduating in college is to write a very powerful and effective resume that every hiring manager would notice your application. And although your post seems to be old but I know the information you shared is really helpful especially for job seekers. Also, a
    blank resume samples can be very helpful when constructing your personal CV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing resume in order to find out the best action plan in proper manner before mentioned course of actions are the productive plus progressive in every possible manner. in order to find out the precise action issues in exploring the perfect approaches to all level each step is the ideal situation to all. We can get rush essay reviews on similar topics online.

    ReplyDelete