Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Favorite Study Spots

In college, it's inherent that one will (or, should) do a lot of studying; it doesn't matter what your major is. And it's been my experience that in order for me to get anything done, I first need a good place to do it. Certain places have more distractions than others (for example, I can't study in my room, because I have a bed, a TV, and food in there), so it's important to find a place where you can crank out an essay, or cram some French verbs in peace.

But at the same time, you don't want to get bored. For the first month, the only place I would study was the study cabins in the basement of the library; and while these do provide an awesome, distraction-free setting, if you overdo it they may leave you claustrophobic, disoriented and without a social life (just kidding ;p).

But all is not lost, 'cause there are tons of cool places where you can GSD (get stuff done, haha) on campus, and not feel bored or claustrophobic!

Mezzanine
On the second floor of Durick Library (this might actually be my favorite building on campus), there are two mezzanines above the bookshelves in the front rooms facing the Library Lawn (pictured to the right). I like to come up here because of the openness and natural daylight, and if there aren't a ton of other people around I tend to get a lot done. Plus, the view of campus is a nice relief after staring at a textbook or computer screen for hours. The only issue is that there are just two electrical outlets (my computer battery stinks, so if other people are already using them I can't), and it's a bit of a walk to the bathroom. But this is definitely a favorite study spot.

Eddie's Lounge
Technically, Eddie's isn't really a study spot; it's a student lounge on the second floor of Alliot Hall where students can have club meetings, art shows, debates, or just hang out and use the big screen TV. But, if you find it empty, there are tons of tables and chairs or couches where you can hunker down and concentrate, and a printer right outside the door. Plus it's open all night, unlike the library which closes at one in the morning. It's a great "ohmygosh I have a paper due in six hours and it's three in the morning" kind of room.

Vending Machine Room
I don't know the official name of this one ('cause I'm pretty sure there is one), but I call it the vending machine room; because it's the only room in the library where food is allowed, and it has vending machines (derp). It's a relaxed setting where you can talk at a normal volume and is often used for group projects. I like it because you don't have to be as quiet as in the rest of the library, and because of the comfy booth seating with huge tables; great for spreading out your work and getting organized. 

Classrooms
I mentioned in my last post that students have access to classrooms outside of class hours, but I don't know the official rules surrounding their use or times when they're open. Either way, if they're open, rooms in the academic building are motivating because it's where you have classes, so you might be more inclined to get real work done. Like I said, I used them a TON during finals week; the whiteboards are a great way to work out some long math or science problems, and we used the projector a few times to pull up online study guides and practice tests. I won't lie; I kind of felt like a math genius.

Dorm Hallway
I get lightly made fun of for this one sometimes, but I've seen other people do it, and my friends who make fun have joined in from time to time. If it's late at night, and you don't want to wake your room mate (although I think I do sometimes despite my best efforts), sitting in the hallway is a great way to get work done. I wouldn't recommend it on a Friday night or during the day, but on a Sunday night it's not the worst idea; especially if the library is closed or you just don't feel like leaving your dorm. This is more of a last resort for procrastinators; but hey, we all have out moments... Just some more than others. ;P

If any SMC students have additions to this list, or if anyone anywhere has questions/comments, feel free to comment below or contact me via email (brosbrook@mail.smcvt.edu), facebook, twitter or formspring.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment