Thursday, December 1, 2011

Planning for a Double-Major, Double-Minor

Yup, you heard (rather, read) me right. I'm doing a double-major double-minor and here's why:

I'm kinda crazy.

No, but seriously, I've decided that I want to major in Anthropology and Environmental Studies, with minors in French and Spanish; and although nothing is "official" yet (besides the Anthro Major), I'm stubborn and confident that I will be able to do this.

But it's not like I can just pull this out of the air, I know this is going to require extra planning, hard work, and summer courses at my hometown university. Here's what I've done so far:

  1. Made a list of all the requirements for my various majors/minors, as well as the Liberal Studies Requirements (LSR's).
  2. Checked for any overlapping class requirements between majors (GG101 - Intro to Human Geography was one).
  3. Chose a possible "study aboad experience", which is required for the Anthro major (I'm thinking my junior-year fall semester in Cameroon).
  4. Made a tentative 4-year plan (including summer classes), accounting for credits from high school and credits I will get from study abroad.
The result, ladies and gentlemen, is this beautifully done chart of all my tentative classes over the next 4 years:


It's a pretty rough draft, but it's a start! It contains all my required classes, and now I at least know what I'm getting myself into! And since I made this, I've met with my advisor and we figured out a few things we have to work out, like planning in my honors courses, which I should be able to do. Basically, this isn't a final copy.

So that's it for now, folks. Any questions at all about my plan, or if you have questions about academic planning, I'd be happy to help you or direct you to someone who can! Send me an email at brosbrook@mail.smcvt.edu, or ask me on twitter or formspring!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments: