Sunday, December 4, 2011

Warren Miller and First Day of the Ski Season!


Found this photo here.

Most skiers (and all ski fanatics) know this name. His movies are legendary, and his enterprise continues to make awesome films about crazy skiing pursuits all over the world. This past Thursday night, I got to go see the newest one, "Like There's No Tomorrow" (I tweeted about it trying to win a prize, but, alas, to no avail).

It was awesome. They filmed in Portillo, Chile (somewhere I've always wanted to ski), New Zealand, India and Alaska, to name a few. But the audience was probably the most psyched when the Tuckerman Ravine segment came on. Tuckerman Ravine is known as some of the most challenging skiing on the east coast, and for us east coast skiers to see it in a Warren Miller film was pretty rad. I've never skied it myself, unfortunately, but my siblings, dad and I are hopefully making the trek this coming spring!

Yes, I'm happy to say this year was yet another awesome film. However, seeing Warren Miller is a big deal not just cause it rocks. It's a big deal because for me, and a lot of other skiers, it marks the beginning of the season and gets us pumped to hit the slopes. Lucky for me, I was able to do so this morning!

As most people who have heard of SMC know, we as students get an awesome 30 dollar season pass deal with Smuggler's Notch. It's one of the best things ever, right up there with the invention of skiing itself. So, this morning I rolled out of bed around 6.50AM, made some coffee, microwaved a waffle, got dressed, packed my ski bag and was on my way to Smuggs for opening day. Again, lucky for me, I was able catch a ride my friend Mike from Green Up and fellow blogger Lisa and their friend Katie.

It was a good group of skiers and we had a lot of fun, even though we only stayed until about 11. We all had stuff to do back on campus, but it was a nice, 5-run start to the season, and we have lots of snow to look forward to after winter break!

And as an aside, there were a surprising amount of people there, for just one trail being open. I'm impressed with the Vermont Peoples' addiction to snow.

Here are some pictures I sent to my dad from the mountain:


From the lift.


"Top of the Notch!"

So there you have the beginning of my season, and I can't wait for the rest of it to start!

Also, to any prospective students, just a reminder that the last Knightchat of the semester is coming up this Tuesday, December 6th at 7:30pm, check it out!

Happy winter, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment