Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cool Stuff on Campus; Common Ground.

So far at St. Mike's I've been pretty involved in a few clubs and activities on campus, and I didn't think I was going to check out any new ones this semester; I'm pretty busy! But I've been hearing great things about Common Ground (the LGBT group on campus) and this past Monday decided to give it a go.

They meet on Monday nights in Eddie's Lounge at 5pm (shameless plug). Like I said, my first meeting was just this past week, and I was even late because of ski practice. That aside, it was a great experience! Definitely something I plan to be involved in this semester. While I was there I got to hear about stuff they've done as a group, as well as their plans for this coming semester; and they seem like a cool group of people!

One awesome part of going to this meeting was watching the SMC Athletics/Common Ground "It Gets Better" video. If you don't know what that is, check out the website here. But basically people have been posting videos on the internet under the title "It Gets Better" since the massive amount of gay teen suicides in the fall of 2010, with the objective of giving hope to anyone who might be having struggles; whether it be with gender/sexual identity, or any other issues that cause people to think about suicide. A variety of people have made them; tons of celebrities from Obama to Ke$ha, as well as people who just want to share their stories and help someone out who needs it. Check out the one SMC made below! 



There are tons of these videos to browse on youtube and other websites, and I recommend it if this is an issue you care about. They can be really moving (this is my favorite one; it's long, but if you've got the time it's worth watching).


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment