Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Live Music: Dom Flemons at Higher Ground

If there's a theme to this semester, it's a healthy serving of live music. A few weeks back I saw Shovels and Rope in Montreal, Foster the People is playing at Saint Mike's next Thursday, and last night I saw Dom Flemons at Higher Ground (a concert venue in S. Burlington). I first saw Dom Flemons play when he was with Carolina Chocolate Drops at the Burlington waterfront two summers ago. Since then I've followed both CCD and Dom Flemons solo work since he's been pursuing that. 

When we first showed up to the venue it was just before show start time, 20 minutes or so after doors opened. But as I walk in Mr. Flemons himself is warming up on guitar, playing casual as can be before his opening band began their set. Grace and Tony, the opener, were also quite a good show. Also of a folky variety (drums, guitar, cello, banjo), their music choice was lyrically satirical and/or absurd. A great band to hear, for sure.

Grace and Tony played about 7-8 songs, then Dom Flemons came out again (this time on banjo). He played a few songs like that and then introduced his trio (the names of whom I can't recall, my apologies) on drums and stand up bass. He played a song or two that I'd also heard while he was with CCD, and quite a few folk songs that I hadn't heard him play before. Mr. Flemons and his trio have a stage presence that's engaging to the point of near hypnosis, and I enjoyed every strum.

I think it's worth it to go out for live music as regularly as one possibly can. If you're someone who likes live music and going to concert venues, seeing an artist live can be therapeutic and stress-relieving. Besides it's easy to see music around here. If you're not finding a show at Higher Ground or in downtown Burlington, you can always find one in Winooski and often on campus too. North Campus has a great music scene, and for many years has hosted the legendary Turtle Underground in the basement of Purtill Hall on the weekends.

Until the next show or sooner (neither of which can be too far off).

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment